Growing up in the suburbs of Washington D.C., Rick first became interested in photography as an early teenager experimenting with the family Polaroid camera. He very quickly discovered that he naturally viewed the world on a much smaller scale, taking pictures of, and interacting with the details in life. Soon after, he studied black and white photography for several years during high school. He then went on to study photography at the university level, ultimately obtaining a bachelor degree in English Literature.

Specializing in fractions, abstractions, slices of experiences, Rick views the minute pieces as opposed to “the whole”. His images are evocative typically possessing a strong sense of contrast, texture, and reflection. He encourages and urges the viewer to slow down, re-examine the composition, reconsider what has been seen and emotionally connect. His images usher the viewer into a place that is abstract yet strangely familiar. He uses the camera, not as a mere mirror to reflect or document, but more as an extension of himself through which he can channel feelings, ideas, and experiences.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Reflections and Interpretations





I’ve always been attracted to, and intrigued by, reflections in part because they are filters, interpretations of reality that reveal a altered perception. Unlike something that mangles and distorts beyond comprehension reflections typically tend to gently warp with curves and contours, elongated shadows that contrast, seemingly familiar shapes that taunt our perspectives making us reconsider ourselves and how we relate to the world around us.


Years ago, while taking photography classes at the college level, I decided I would resist reflections. I felt as though I gravitated towards taking reflection pictures too frequently, and to be a better photographer I needed to abandon such tendencies. It ended up being a good thing that stretched me for a time but after a semester I decided to abandon the resistance. I realized that it was something that came naturally and questioned why I was restricting myself with such limitations. I suppose it was partially attributed to the fact that I began to accept that this was one aspect of who I was as a photographer and I figured I should embrace it as long as I kept it in check, and didn’t overdo it. Now that I have a beautiful daughter and it’s extremely exciting to see her take in the details of the world around her, and I find it interesting that she naturally tends towards reflections as well. Maybe all children enjoy reflections or maybe the fruit doesn’t fall too far from the tree.


A common thread running through this latest offering of reflection pictures is that they all include people in them , and while it’s not a sophisticated medium, they were all taken with my iPhone. I must admit the lack of quality has a slight appeal but the main draw is that it’s convenient and instant, much like a Polariod, but minus the retro-cool factor. These pictures are a bit whimsical but I think that’s part of the fun and purity of them, and hopefully it captures a glimpse of where my daughter is currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment